Very rarely I can combine two of the loved ones in my life – computer science and cooking. But getting some inspiration from watching modern Aussie food in Master Chef Australia (they did some flowered seafood strangely enough, but surely I can’t pick how my own brain works anyway) as well as my beloved partner making a Bolognese sauce, I came with this recursive dish: A stuffed pepper with a stuffed pepper inside…
You need to pick up pepper that match in shape and allow you to cook such a recursive dish.
Essentially a stuffed pepper, with an inner stuffed pepper… Depending on your stack size (silly inside joke) you can try to put a smaller chilli pepper inside, and yet even a smaller birds eye pepper inside to make it even geekier.
Below recipe has two levels, and does not specify exact quantities as they pertain the count and size of pepper you are using.
Bon a petite!
- Large peppers (e.g. bell pepper) – You can use other shaped ones (like the long ones)
- Smaller Peppers – Match the shape to fit within the bigger ones
- Optional: Even smaller peppers (I used diced birds eye)
- External stuffing : rice, oil and water
- Internal stuffing: minced meat, onions, carrots, tomatoes, celery, garlic, thyme, olive oil, red wine, bay leaf
- Roasted pine nuts
- Salt and pepper
- Make the inner pepper filling – I’ve done a Bolognese alike sauce, using the ingredients above – slightly sweating the onion in the pan in some oil, then adding the carrots, tomatoes and celery, and then adding the meat, wine and spices
- Preheat oven to medium-high (~200 C)
- Make the outer pepper filling – I’ve done plain white rice
- Roast some pine nuts, walnuts or both on a pan for a short while – make them slightly coloured and smoky but not overdo it
- Note: You can mix the fillings, or keep them separated – and can mix the nuts as well. You can also make any other baked fillings
- Now for the stuffing – cut the inner pepper head (figuratively, it does not normally hurt but what do I know), clean the seeds and white thingies, clean the head – and fill it with the meaty sauce. I added also some diced birdseyes. You can put the head back.
- Cut the outer pepper head, clean it and the head, add some rice and roasted nuts, then fit the smaller pepper inside, with more of the rice and nuts mixture.
- Put a slice of tomato on the top then close with the head.
- Bake for an hour or so.
- Serve hot.